Free car seats available to families who qualify. Parents attend a short class to learn the correct placement and use of the car seat.
To apply, applicants must be:
- Eligible for Medicaid or FAMIS or qualify by income
- Resident of Charlottesville/Albemarle, Louisa, Fluvanna, Greene, or Nelson
- Legal residents of Virginia
- Women in the last three months of pregnancy or
- Parent, legal guardian or foster parent
Complete the application below and return to your local health department.
The Charlottesville Area Safe Sleep Program is a community effort to educate parents and caregivers on the importance of safe sleep in the prevention of SIDS and SUID. A limited number of cribs are available by agency referral to high-risk households meeting income and other program guidelines.
- Parent, legal guardian, or foster parent of a child under the age of 6 months.
- Resident of Charlottesville/Albemarle, Louisa, Greene, Nelson, or Fluvanna.
- Meet specific income, environmental, infant, and family caretaker risk factors.
- Apply through a referring agency – no self-referrals accepted.
Community coalition coordinating efforts to reduce infant mortality/morbidity and associated racial disparities in the greater-Charlottesville area.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Pregnancy