Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Protecting You and Your Environment Virginia Department of Health
Home | VDH Programs | Find It! A-Z Index | Newsroom | Administration | Jobs | Data
Facebook LinkedIn Twitter YouTube

Vital Records

Birth Certificates, Death Certificates, Marriage License, Divorce Decree

You can apply for copies of birth certificates, marriage licenses and divorce decrees from the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the link to the State Department of Vital Records (below) for current fees and application process. Pen and Paper

Death certificates are filed in the city or county health department where the death occurred, not in county in which the person lived. Our health departments keep records up to 5 years and can provide copies of certificates on file. You may call in the information, and copies will be ready when you arrive (allow at least one-half hour). Please be prepared to show your photo I.D. when picking up a death certificate.

For all other death certificates, apply to the VDH Office of Vital Records. 

Death certificates will only be given to the following:

  • immediate family (mother/father, adult sister/brother,
  • husband/wife, adult child)
  • court appointed guardian
  • funeral director
  • legal representative of the deceased

All others need to prove a direct and tangible interest in order to obtain a death certificate.

For genealogy information, contact the Library of Virginia.

Amelia: 804/561-2711
Buckingham: 434/969-4244
Charlotte : 434/542-5251
Cumberland : 804/492-4661
Lunenburg: 434/696-2346
Nottoway : 434/645-7595
Prince Edward: 434/392-8187

State Department of Vital Records

Last Updated: 12-10-2014

Printable Version

E-mail This Page