Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Protecting You and Your Environment Virginia Department of Health
Home | VDH Programs | Find It! A-Z Index | Newsroom | Administration | Jobs

Consumer Services

Animal Bites and Rabies

Day Care Facilities

Restaurant and Food Services

Swimming Pools and Spas

Hotels, Motels, Bed and Breakfasts and Campgrounds

Massage Establishments and Therapists

Animal Bites

The Prince William Health District works in collaboration with local animal control officials. All animal bites involving humans must be reported to the Prince William County Police Department’s Animal Control Bureau at 703-792-6465 or to the Health District at 703-792-6310. Exposure of domestic animals to wild animals should also be reported. Wild animals that have bitten a person or pet should be euthanized and tested for rabies. Animals not apprehended should be considered rabid.


Rabies is a disease caused by a virus which eventually infects the spinal cord and brain, causing convulsions, paralysis, and eventually death. Rabies is most commonly transmitted by introducing virus-laden saliva of a rabid animal into a bite wound. It is rarely transmitted by a scratch or fresh break in the skin or through intact mucous membranes.  Airborne spread is possible, however, it is extremely rare, and usually is associated with bats. Person- to- person transfer is possible. Common carriers of rabies include raccoons, skunks, foxes, bats, dogs and cats. Rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, rats, mice, gerbils and hamsters may have the rabies virus, but seldom are known to transmit rabies in the United States.

For additional information on rabies, please visit the CDC Rabies Webpage or the VDH Rabies Webpage.

Back to Top


Restaurant and Food Services

Food Service Facility Operations
The Prince William Health District regulates food service operations in restaurants, schools, childcare and adult care facilities, institutions, hospitals, hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, youth athletic association food concessions, seasonal snack bars, parks, swimming pools, and temporary food facilities at fairs, festivals, carnivals and other special events. Most of these facilities are required to meet the Virginia Food Regulations. Prince William County also has local regulations for youth athletic association food concessions.

Food Service Facility Inspection
Food service inspections can be viewed online by selecting this link. The frequency of food service facility inspections is based on the menu and the types of foods served as well as the extent of the preparation and processing of those food items. This "risk assessment" is determined by the use of potentially hazardous foods (PHF), the preparation of raw versus ready-to-eat food items, storage, cooking, cooling and the re-heating. Potentially hazardous foods are those that require time and/or temperature control for safety (examples include meat, poultry, seafood, and most dairy products).

Food Service Facility Plan Review
All proposed food service facilities require a formal plan review and approval by the Health District. An application and $40 plan review fee are required for all submitted plan reviews. A separate submittal should be made directly to the Health District to expedite the review process.

Food Service Complaints
To file a food service complaint, call the Environmental Health Division at 703-792-6310 (option #1) between 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on normal business days and provide the complaint details. Local grocery stores and convenience stores are regulated by the Virginia Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services (VDACS). For more information regarding grocery stores and convenience stores, please call VDACS at 804-786-3520. The Office of the Attorney General Consumer Protection Hotline can be reached at 800-552-9963 (Hearing Impaired: 800-828-1120).

Forms and Documents

View Food Service Facilities Inspection Records

Food Service Facilities Inspection Records

Application for Food Establishment Permit

Restaurant Application

Temporary Food Permit Applications and Requirements (with Spanish translation)

Temporary Food Application

Prince William County Code – Itinerant Vendors License Regulations

Prince William County Code

Guidance for Food Establishments Following a Power Outage/Flood Guidance for Food Establishments

Please Note: Applications for temporary events should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the event.

Back to Top

Swimming Pools and Spas

The Prince William Health District inspects and annually permits more than 170 commercial swimming pools and spas. These pools are located at apartment and condominium complexes, local parks, hotels, motels, county clubs, and other private recreational clubs. Prince William County and the City of Manassas have local swimming pool regulations which primarily address water quality, pool patron safety and pool operator training. Also, the state requires that the pool and spa water quality be tested and posted on a placard at the pool. 

Commercial pool owners are required to pay an annual permit fee of $350. Commercial pools are required to have a professionally trained Certified Pool Operator on site when the pool is in operation. Pool Operators are required to pay an annual $15 fee.

Proposed commercial swimming pool and spa construction plans require review and approval by the Prince William Health District.

Forms and Documents

Pool Operator Application:  

Pool Operator Application

List of Approved Providers for Pool Operator Certification:

2014 Approved Providers for Pool Operator Certification

Prince William County Park Authority Swimming Information: 

Prince William Department of Parks & Recreation  

CDC Information on Recreational Water Illness:

Recreational Water Illness - CDC Link

Prince William County Swimming Pool Code:

Prince William County Code, Chapter 25.1.

City of Manassas Swimming Pool Code:

Swimming Pool Code, City of Manassas

Application for Swimming Pool / Spa Annual Permit:

Swimming Pool Application

Information on private swimming pools and steps to follow if property has an Onsite Sewage Disposal System:

Private Swimming Pools: Steps to Follow if Property has an Onsite Sewage Disposal System

Information on Swimming Pool Construction on Properties with On-Site Sewage Disposal:

Please contact the Department of Public Works at 703-792-6830.


Hotels, Motels, Bed and Breakfasts and Campgrounds

Hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts and campgrounds are inspected annually by the Health District, which enforces the state regulations that address these facilities.  The Prince William Health District will also respond to complaints regarding these facilities.

Forms and Documents

Application for a Department of Health Permit

Application for a Department of Health Permit

State Regulations Regarding Hotels, Motels and Bed & Breakfast Facilities

Hotel, Motel, and Bed & Breakfast Regulations

Back to Top

Massage Establishments and Therapists

Massage Establishments

Massage establishments are required to apply to the Health Department for a permit and pay a $204 fee for new applicants and a $153 fee thereafter to renew a permit. An inspection is made of the facility within three weeks after the application and fee are submitted. The facility must meet minimum lighting and ventilation requirements according to the Uniform Building Code; provide adequate equipment for disinfecting and sterilizing any instruments used; provide hot and cold running water; provide separate dressing, bathing, and toilet facilities for patrons segregated by gender; provide clean towels and linens for patrons receiving massage services; maintain the walls and the physical facility in good repair and in a sanitary condition. See the complete regulations linked below. Applications for Massage Establishments are processed at the  Environmental Health Division - Onsite Sewage and Water Services location.  Please call 703-792-6310 for additional information or assistance.

Massage Therapists are required to go through the Board of Nursing for certification. If you have questions, please call the Board of Nursing at 804-662-9909.

Forms and Documents

Prince William County Massage Establishment Regulations:

Massage Establishment Regulations for Prince William County

Massage Establishment Application Form:

Massage Establishment Application Form

Day Care Facilities

The Prince William Health District inspects and permits food preparation facilities within day care centers. Once a year, at the request of the Department of Social Services, the PWHD completes a general inspection of the entire facility. The PWHD will also respond to complaints regarding these facilities. Facilities with onsite water or septic are required to meet well and septic construction, occupancy and facility use restrictions.  Visit the Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) Division of Licensing Programs for a list of additional resources.

Back to Top

Last Updated: 02-11-2014

Printable Version

E-mail This Page