This program is designed to mentor pregnant teenagers up to the age of 19, from the prenatal period until the infant's first birthday.
The goals of this program are the following:
- To be a mentor to teenagers that are expecting mother's by support and educating them through:
- Early prenatal care.
- Nutrition education during pregnancy to enhance healthy babies that are born with a normal birth weight.
- Family Planning/prevention
- Breastfeeding encouragement and counseling
- Continuing Education through completion of High School or GED/Adult Education.
- Resources available for community assistance
- WIC, Medicaid, TANF, and other applicable services
- Provides these young parents with information about child development and child safety for a stable and nurturing home environment for a healthy, happy baby.
- Reduce the repeat pregnancy rate.
- Reduce the infant mortality and death rate of infants.
A Resource Mother is a Mentor who...
Calls & comes to visit
Refers you to needed services
Encourages you to do your best
Help keep medical appointments for teen and her baby
Solve day to day problems
Find out how babies grow and keeping them safe
Take steps toward a solid future
Virginia Department of Health
March Of Dimes
Contact Carolyn Hankison for more Information: Carolyn.Hankison@vdh.virginia.gov
Comments to: Resourcemothersprogram@yahoo.com