National Registry Cognitive Exam Changes Coming April 15, 2022
Beginning April 15, 2022, the National Registry will be transitioning to a new software platform for administering its examinations. This software upgrade comes with a few modifications to examination scheduling and delivery that candidates may notice. Some of the updates to highlight that go into effect on April 15 are:
- Candidates logging in to schedule examinations will notice they cannot schedule any online proctored (OnVUE) examinations beyond April 11, 2022. This temporary inconvenience is necessary as part of our software upgrade.
- Testing center examination scheduling will not be impacted.
- On April 15, 2022, candidates will be able to resume scheduling their examinations via OnVUE.
- Candidates will select their delivery method (testing center or online proctored) and schedule their examination on Pearson VUE’s website.
- The EMR level cognitive examination will be available as an online proctored examination starting April 15, 2022.
- Both EMR and EMT providers will be able to use OnVUE testing for recertification by examination beginning April 15, 2022.
- Our EMT OnVUE examination will be updated to use our computer adaptive format (CAT) and reflect the same experience as the testing centers. This will change the length of the OnVUE examination from a fixed set of 110 questions to a variable between 70-120 questions.
- The AEMT level cognitive examination will no longer be available as an online proctored examination. AEMT will be administered at Pearson VUE testing centers only.
BLS Certification Testing
- Cognitive Exams – Normal processes are in place for the National Registry cognitive exam. Beginning April 15, 2022, all Basic Life Support (BLS) examinations will have an online proctored (OnVUE) in addition to the testing center options. Pearson VUE OnVUE is available for candidates who are unable to access testing at a Pearson Test Center due to lack of available seats. Please direct your candidates to learn more about Pearson OnVUE Remote Proctored Exams by visiting: https://home.pearsonvue.com/nremt/onvue
- Psychomotor Exams – The Office of EMS Management Team has suspended indefinitely BLS psychomotor testing pending decisions by the Training & Certification and Medical Direction Committees. Use of the TR.999 will serve as the verification of competency until further notice.
ALS Certification Testing
- Cognitive Exams – Normal processes are in place for the National Registry cognitive exam. Beginning April 15, 2022, all Advanced Life Support (ALS) examinations will only be administered at Pearson VUE Test Centers—remote proctoring via Pearson OnVUE is not permitted for ALS candidates.
- Psychomotor Exams – The ALS Testing Calendar on the OEMS website can be found at: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/emergency-medical-services/virginia-national-registry-psychomotor-examination-schedule/