Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get a birth certificate?
Birth certificates are issued only by the Virginia Department of Health, please call (804) 662-6200.

Where do I go to get shots for foreign travel?
The Richmond Health District provides some adult immunizations that are required for foreign travel. Full service immunizations for travel are provided at various locations in the Richmond area. Locations that provide travel immunizations.

Do you have a STI clinic?
Yes. Our STI Clinic is located at 401 E. Main Street. Please call (804) 482-5500 for more information.  Also, visit our Resource Centers page at

Where can I report an unclean restaurant?
The Environmental Health Division conducts inspection on all restaurants within the city. If you want to report an unclean restaurant, or food illness, please call (804) 205-3912.

Where can I get a death certificate?
The RCHD Vital Records Office issues certificates for all deaths that occur within the city of Richmond. Please call (804) 205-3918 for more information.

How do I report TB cases or a disease outbreak?
Our public health nurse epidemiologist investigates communicable diseases and outbreaks. For more information, please call (804) 482-5500.

My child needs a physical, where can I go?
Aside from your family physician, sources for physicals include Capital Area Health Network (780-0840), Hayes Willis Clinic (230-7777), VCU Medical Center Children’s Pavilion (828-5777), Patient First Parham Road (559-9900). School sports physicals are provided at our Teen Experience Wellness Center. This costs $30.00 and by appointment only (482-5500).

Do you give pregnancy tests?
Yes, pregnancy tests are administered at the RCHD clinic, which is at 400 E. Main Street. For more information, please call (804) 482-5500. Also, visit our Resource Centers page at

Where do I get my nursing license?
The Virginia State Board of Nursing issues nursing licenses. For more information, please call (804) 662-9909 or visit

What is HIPAA – The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act?
This is a federal regulation that mandates privacy and security of protected health information. To find out more about HIPAA, Click here for English and Spanish.

How can I find out about free health insurance for children
The Family Access to Medical insurance Security (FAMIS) was created to meet healthcare needs of Virginia uninsured children up to age 18 in working families that earn too much to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to afford private health insurance. Find out more about FAMIS.