Virginia middle- and high-school students need a sports physical before they can participate in school-sponsored athletics. A sports physical can help student athletes find out about and deal with health problems that might affect their performance or increase their chances of being injured.
Where to get sports physicals
Your athlete’s regular doctor can perform a sports physical at the same time as an annual wellness visit. Mention that you need a sports physical and a regular checkup so your doctor can set aside time to do both. If your athlete has had had a recent visit with the doctor, you may be able to drop off the form for the doctor to fill out.
- RHHD and some of our partners periodically offer free sports physicals to middle and high school students. Call (804) 205-3501 for information about any upcoming dates.
- Most local urgent cares and pharmacy clinics offer sports physicals for an extra fee.
What to know about sports physicals
- The VHSL sports physical form is required for each school year and is good from May 1 of the current year through June 30 of the next year.
- Insurance may cover sports physicals; all Virginia Medicaid Managed Care plans do. Ask about the cost when you are making the appointment.
- The parent/guardian must complete everything except Part III (physical exam) of the form. The physical will not be performed if the rest of the form is not filled out entirely! The student and parent/guardian must sign the form as well.