LATEST NEWS AND RECENT UPDATES
- Proposed Regulatory Action to Modify X-Ray and Radioactive Materials Fees: A proposal to update the X-ray and Radioactive Materials Program fees will be published on 02/05/2018 on the Regulatory Town Hall website (Volume: 34 Issue: 12). A public comment forum will open on 2/5/2018 and remain open through 4/8/2018. To review and/or comment on the proposal during that time, please visit http://townhall.virginia.gov, locate the State Board of Health section and find 12VAC 5-490.
- Radioactive Materials Program Regulations Updated: Miscellaneous updates to 12VAC5-481 became effective on April 5, 2018. Additional information about the changes are provided on the Radioactive Materials Regulations page.
- Therapeutic Radiation Machine Regulations Updated: 12VAC5-481-3380 through 3453 became effective on June 5, 2016. Virginia’s Radiation Protection Regulations, Part XV, Therapeutic Radiation Machines have been updated to include a section on Electronic Brachytherapy. These changes may be viewed on the X-ray Regulations page.
- IAEA Workshop Addresses Challenges of Unnecessary Radiation Exposure to Patients: Up to 40% of radiological exams may be unnecessary, experts learned at the IAEA Justification of Medical Exposure in Diagnostic Imaging meeting last week. Participants discussed how to further strengthen the criteria for the appropriate use of radiation exposure in medicine. “The rapid growth of medical radiation has resulted in increased exposure not only for the population as a whole, but also for individual patients,” said Peter Johnston, Director of the IAEA Division of Radiation, Transport and Waste Safety. “Evidence suggests that a significant fraction of these radiological examinations may be unnecessary.” Posted 15March2016. Read more at https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/technical-meeting-to-justification-of-using-medical-procedures-using-ionizing-radiation
- Office of Radiological Health Created: On September 3, 2013 the Office of Radiological Health (formerly, Division of Radiological Health) was created. The Office reports to the Chief Deputy Commissioner. Steve Harrison was named Director of the Division of Radiological Health on June 10, 2012. Steve brings a wealth of experience to his new role in VDH, having served as the Hospital Preparedness Program Coordinator, Assistant State Planning Coordinator, Strategic National Stockpile and Exercise Coordinator and EP&R’s Central Region Planner. Prior to his tenure at VDH, Steve worked for Dominion Resources for 23 years where he performed nuclear emergency planning and all hazards preparedness. Steve received his Master’s in Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness from Virginia Commonwealth University, earned a Certificate in Public Health Leadership from University of North Carolina, is a FEMA-certified Master Exercise Practitioner and completed his undergraduate studies at the College of William and Mary.
To contact the Office of Radiological Health for inquiries or general questions please call (804) 864-8150 or e-mail us at ORH e-mail.
Office of Radiological Health | 109 Governor Street, 7th Floor | Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone (804) 864-8150 | Fax: (804) 864-8155