LATEST NEWS AND RECENT UPDATES
- Effective October 10, 2021, Lea Perlas became the Radiological Health Office Director. Lea Perlas has been with the Virginia Department of Health, Office of Radiological Health (ORH), for over 25 years. Prior to her position as Office Director, Lea served ORH in the roles of X-ray Compliance Officer, Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA) Inspector, X-ray Division Director, and Interim Office Director.
- X-Ray Exemptions: Handhelds, Gonadal Shielding, Sensus SRT-100, Veterinary HVL, Veterinary Light Field Luminance and Non-Medical Private Inspectors
- Protecting Yourself and Your Loved Ones While Taking Radioactive Drugs: The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) developed a brochure to help educate patients about radiation safety precautions that they need to follow before, during, and after treatment with radioactive drugs. The Patient Release Brochure can be found at https://www.nrc.gov/materials/miau/patient-release.html#brochure. Since a number of patients may use social media for information about their treatments with radioactive drugs, the NRC staff developed a patient release video, “Staying Safe While Getting Better, Protecting Yourself and Your Loved Ones While Taking Radioactive Drugs” that is posted on YouTube at https://youtu.be/1cbWFKqpLW0.
- 2020 NRC Integrated Materials Performance Evaluation Program Results: On December 16, 2020 the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s (NRC) Management Review Board found the Radioactive Materials Program “adequate to protect public health and safety, and compatible with the NRC’s program.” In August and September, NRC and peer state representatives evaluated Virginia’s program for the previous 5-year time period. No findings or recommendations were issued.
- X-ray Device Inspections during COVID 19: The X-ray program resumed medical X-ray device inspections May 18, 2020. MQSA inspections were resumed June 24, 2020. This includes all “human use” modalities and serious violation follow-up inspections. Non-medical inspections (i.e. cabinet, analytical) inspections continue to be performed. All inspectors follow PPE protocol and social distancing while conducting inspections.
- Radioactive Materials Program (RMP) COVID19 Impacts and Adjusted Protocols: The Radioactive Materials Program resumed inspection activities on May 18, 2020 following implementation of internal use COVID-19 protocols developed by the Office of Radiological Health. Inspection activities had been scaled back as of March 23, 2020 due to the impacts of COVID-19. Please click here to read about Virginia RMP information for licensees during COVID19.
- X-Ray and Radioactive Materials Fee Increase: Fees charged for X-ray machine registrations, X-ray machine inspections and shielding reviews performed by the Virginia Department of Health, and the fees charged for Radioactive Materials licenses increased as of February 7, 2019. This increase followed the culmination of a final public comment period for 12VAC5-490, “X-ray and Radioactive Material Fees,” as published in the Virginia Register of Regulations (Volume 35, Issue 10). The new fee schedule may be found on the X-ray Program and Radioactive Materials Program web pages, respectively.
- Radioactive Materials Program Regulations Updated: The Radioactive Materials Program revised its regulation and was published in the August 2, 2021 Virginia Register with an effective date of January 14, 2022.The regulation is found on the Radioactive Materials Regulations page.
- Therapeutic Radiation Machine Regulations Updated: 12VAC5-481-3380 through 3453 became effective on June 5, 2016. Virginia’s Radiation Protection Regulations, Part XV, Therapeutic Radiation Machines have been updated to include a section on Electronic Brachytherapy. These changes may be viewed on the X-ray Regulations page.
- Office of Radiological Health Created: On September 3, 2013 the Office of Radiological Health (formerly, Division of Radiological Health) was created. The Office reports to the Chief Deputy Commissioner.
To contact the Office of Radiological Health for inquiries or general questions:
Phone: (804) 864-8150
Office of Radiological Health | 109 Governor Street, 7th Floor | Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone (804) 864-8150 | Fax: (804) 864-8155