The Virginia Department of Health’s (VDH) Office of Radiological Health (ORH) reports to the Chief Deputy Commissioner for Public Health, who serves under the authority of the State Health Commissioner.
Overview of Program Activities
The Office of Radiological Health is responsible for protecting the public from unnecessary radiation exposure caused by a wide spectrum of applications used in the healing arts, research, educational institutions and industry. The regulation of radiation sources as well as emergency response to radiation emergencies require a staff with multi-disciplinary skills and extensive training.
The Office is responsible for the following activities:
- Radioactive Materials: On March 31, 2009 the Governor entered into an agreement with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to assume responsibility for the regulation of by-product, special, and source materials. There are approximately 400 radioactive material specific licenses active in Virginia.
- X-ray Machines: X-ray Program is responsible for the registration, inspection, and certification of X-ray machines in the Commonwealth. Approximately 25,550 X-ray machines are registered in the Commonwealth.
- Emergency Preparedness and Response: The Emergency Preparedness and Response Program maintains radiological emergency response plans and procedures; coordinates associated training, drills and exercises with the Virginia Department of Emergency Management and other partners and stakeholders; and, maintains equipment necessary for responding to a radiation emergency.
- Environmental Monitoring: The Environmental Monitoring Program is responsible for collecting, analyzing and reporting environmental samples near various fixed nuclear facilities such as the North Anna and Surry Nuclear Power Stations.
- Radon: The Radon Program provides education and technical assistance regarding indoor radon hazards, testing and mitigation.
Office of Radiological Health | 109 Governor Street, 7th Floor | Richmond, VA 23219
Telephone (804) 864-8150 | Fax: (804) 864-8155