Last reviewed and updated: September 14, 2023
Virginia EMS Scholarship Program
Due to the budget shortfall, a final decision was made on September 11, 2023 to reduce the funding for the scholarship program for FY24 to $1.5 million from the $2.0 million originally allocated. This will be re-evaluated in the coming months to determine whether we can return the allocated amount to $2.0 million.
Currently, for FY24, we have approved $487,624.00 in scholarships with an additional $174.815.00 in scholarship applications in the approval pipeline for a total of $662,439.00. This leaves $837,561.00 to fund the program this fiscal year.
When speaking with students about the scholarship program please make sure that if funding is available through the college or the program they should seek that those funds first. Once the program has exhausted funding, the Virginia EMS Portal will notify students that there are no longer funds available this fiscal year and the system will no longer accept applications. Retroactive applications will not be allowed as we move into FY25.
Additionally, due to lack of use and the expense of this service, the Office has initiated the process of terminating our contract with Blackboard. We will be moving the Education Coordinator Village content to Moodle in the very near future and will provide you with your account information in a separate e-mail.
Should you have any questions about this notification, please reach out to directly to Debbie Akers at firstname.lastname@example.org as she is the designated POC for our Division regarding the budget shortfall.
BLS First & Last Class Paperwork
Newly updated BLS First and Last Class Paperwork for summer/fall courses can be found on the OEMS website. Please make sure you are using the latest paperwork which now takes into account changes reflective our recent adoption of the 2021 National EMS Education Standards (NEMSES).
2021 NEMSES Rollout and Required Forms/Documents
Reminder: The 2021 National EMS Education Standards go into effect on January 1, 2023. The Standards are applicable to ALL initial certification programs as well as continuing education.
All materials, documents & forms pertaining to the 2021 NEMSES are located on Blackboard in the Education Coordinator Village. If you need assistance accessing Blackboard, please reach out to Jasper Williams our Blackboard Administrator. Jasper’s e-mail is: email@example.com.
- 2021 National EMS Education Standards
- The Course Student Disposition Report (CSDR) screens in the EMS Portal will undergo major changes effective January 1, 2023. Please take a few minutes to review this online training program so you are aware of what these screens will look like and how they will function within the overall EMS Portal system. It is located in the Education Coordinator Village with all the other NEMSES materials. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aApwumH9OMM
- The following documents are now posted on Blackboard:
- Transitioning BLS Providers to the 2021 NEMSES Through Continuing Education is posted on Blackboard. This document details all the changes and updates that the bulk of Virginia’s 25,000 EMR’s & EMT’s should be updated/refreshed or trained on moving forward.
- Implementing the Virginia Student Minimum Competency Tracking Matrix
- The Excel tracking form Virginia Student Minimum Competencies (SMC) Matrix