Virtual Instructor-Led Training, or VILT, is an online classroom where the student and instructor are in different locations and communicate entirely through the cloud. Through this simulated learning experience, students have the benefit of a hands-on learning experience that improves knowledge retention.
Recent improvements in internet bandwidth technology have made VILT an increasingly attractive option for Emergency Medical Services training allowing the Office of EMS and certified Education Coordinators to be able to offer complex, specific job training in near-real time. A perfect example of the need for near-real time training would be the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic.
The Office of EMS is pleased to announce that through an agreement with the National Registry, we are now offering this new training modality where the educational content you are seeking can reach you in the comfort of your home, your office or while you are on vacation in Vanuatu.
As with everything in life, there are some rules that must be followed in order for you to be issued CAT 1 CE for programs offered as VILT. We’ll get to those rules when you register for classes. In the meantime, some helpful information is listed below regarding what computer equipment and internet connection is necessary to participate in VILT Training. If your technology resources meet the requirements below, then click the “Register” button below to get started.
Device & Internet Connection Requirements
All Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) courses require live attendance of the student. Each student must have the following:
- A desktop, laptop computer with keyboard or a smartphone/table may be used to access our Virtual Instructor-Led Training courses as long as the mobile device can download and install the necessary GoToWebinar app. (Chromebooks are not compatible).
- Devices must have keyboard, audio and video camera capability to allow the student to communicate through written, verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Computer program requirements for these web-based programs include, but may not be limited to:
- Windows: Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit, Windows 8 32-bit/64-bit, Windows 8.1 32-bit/64-bit, Windows Server 2008 64-bit, Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, Windows 10, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB,
- Mac OS X: 10.13, 10.14, 10.15.
- Students must have uninterrupted high-speed (LTE or higher) internet or Wi-Fi access for the entirety of the course.
- Supported internet browsers include Chrome and Safari. (Internet Explorer and Firefox are not recommended due to security issues).
The Virginia Office of EMS will be making use of GoToWebinar as its VILT training platform. If you are using a computer to receive this training, you will be required to download and install a browser plugin the first time you try to access one of our courses. If you are using a mobile device, you will need to download the GoToWebinar mobile app from your app store as linked below before attempting to access the training session.