The Virginia Office of EMS no longer has access to certification exams that are validated, psychometrically sound and legally defensible.
On July 1, 2012, the Virginia Office of EMS transitioned its BLS testing processes from state testing to the National Registry of EMT’s. Transitioning to National Registry allows Virginia to:
- Standardize the entire initial certification process.
- Be fully compliant with the National EMS Education documents.
Virginia now recognizes reciprocity for all National Registry certifications.
- For Virginia trained EMS providers, reciprocity is an automated process.
- For individuals coming into Virginia from outside the state, reciprocity is paper-based.
This page is one-stop shopping for information and documentation pertaining to the National Registry testing process.
National Registry/Pearson VUE Test Sites
- Pearson VUE Test Center
- List of Virginia-based Pearson VUE Testing Centers with Addresses
- Pearson VUE Group Testing Policy
Please select the option below that best describes your National Registry testing situation.
Current student guidance is based upon the student’s age at the time they are setting up their National Registry account. Access to the guidance documents for current students to setup their National Registry account will be provided based upon their date of birth. Please enter your date of birth in the fields below to gain access to the appropriate guidance documents:
- Providers with Current Virginia certification ONLY
- BLS Testing Requirements – Legal Recognition, Challenge and Re-entry
- ALS Testing Requirements – Re-entry