Understanding the Rules of the Road
It is incumbent on OEMS, as the provider of this Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) education, to make providers and/or students choosing to participate in Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) aware of what measures are being used to monitor participation and engagement while taking our VILT training programs. At the completion of each session, our vendor GoToWebinar, provides the Office with a report of the training program just completed. To view a sample of on of these reports, please click here.
Before granting CAT 1 CE to a participant, our educators evaluate student scores in the following areas before determining whether to award CE to the participant. The areas that will be the focus of this evaluation are:
- Engagement Count – did the student actually engage in the training through questions and/or polling.
- Time in Session – did the student arrive on-time for the training and stay through the entire training program
- Student Interest Rating – did the student show interest in the program by remaining engaged and following along
- Student Attentiveness – did the student maintain the GoToMeeting Viewer window on top of all other open applications or did the student switch to other windows (e-mail, Internet browser, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) during the presentation.
Students participating in Virtual Instructor-Led Training courses are expected to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Our VILT programs are designed for individuals, not groups, squad training nights or families. The individual who registered for the program is the only person who can receive CE credit.
- You are not permitted to display or stream the content on a projector, TV screen or multiple monitors in order for multiple other people to receive CE credit for the program.
- Register in advance for your program to ensure timely delivery of your confirmation e-mail with specific information on how to join the training session.
- Kindly cancel your reservation if learn that you cannot attend to free up a spot for another provider who may be seeking to attend.
- Click to join the scheduled training session at least 5 minutes in advance of its start. In some cases, you will need to download software and install it on your computer in order to access the webinar.
- You will enter a waiting room until the training session begins.
- Make sure you have your mic and web-camera turned on for the entire duration of the training.
- When you first join, you will be muted along with all other attendees automatically by the GoToWebinar software.
- Your Course Coordinator will activate control of your microphone and/or camera as needed during the presentation.
- Pledge to actively participate in the program through the polls and by asking questions if necessary.
- Understand that you will NOT receive continuing education (CE) credit if one or more of the following apply:
- Your “Time in Session” less than the mean Time in Session for all students.
- Your “Student Interest Rating“ is less than 75 on a scale of 100.
- Your “Student Attentiveness” rating is less than 85 on a scale of 100.
Device & Internet Connection Requirements
All Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) courses require live attendance of the student. Each student must have the following:
- A desktop, laptop computer with keyboard or a smartphone/table may be used to access our Virtual Instructor-Led Training courses as long as the mobile device can download and install the necessary GoToWebinar app. (Chromebooks are not compatible).
- Devices must have keyboard, audio and video camera capability to allow the student to communicate through written, verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Computer program requirements for these web-based programs include, but may not be limited to:
- Windows: Windows 7 32-bit/64-bit, Windows 8 32-bit/64-bit, Windows 8.1 32-bit/64-bit, Windows Server 2008 64-bit, Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, Windows 10, Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB,
- Mac OS X: 10.13, 10.14, 10.15.
- Students must have uninterrupted high-speed (LTE or higher) internet or Wi-Fi access for the entirety of the course.
- Supported internet browsers include Chrome and Safari. (Internet Explorer and Firefox are not recommended due to security issues).
The Virginia Office of EMS will be making use of GoToWebinar as its VILT training platform. If you are using a computer to receive this training, you will be required to download and install a browser plugin the first time you try to access one of our courses. If you are using a mobile device, you will need to download the GoToWebinar mobile app from your app store as linked below before attempting to access the training session.